Prediabetes and Metabolic Syndrome Classes
ThedaCare offers classes to support you in your efforts to manage diabetes and maintain a healthier lifestyle. In addition to reviewing the information below, please print and fill out the attached forms and bring them with you to class.
Who should attend the Prediabetes Class?
There are key factors that indicate you’re a good candidate for this class.
- You have a fasting blood sugar greater than 100 but less than 126
- Your two hour glucose tolerance test (GTT) is greater than 140 but less than 200 (75 gram glucose load)
- Your A1C is 5.7 to 6.4 percent
Who should attend the Metabolic Syndrome Class?
If you meet three out of the following five criteria, you’re a good candidate for this class.
- You’re a man with a waist circumference greater than 40 inches or a woman with a waist circumference greater than 35 inches
- You have triglycerides greater than 150 mg/dl or you’re receiving drug treatment for hypertriglyceridemia
- You’re a man with HDL Cholesterol less than 40 mg/dl or a woman with HDL Cholesterol less than 50 mg/dl
- You have a blood pressure greater than 130 mmHg systolic or greater than 85 mmHg diastolic or drug treatment
- Your fasting blood sugar is greater than 100 mg/dl
Program Description: This is a 12 week program consisting of four nutrition classes covering topics ranging from managing blood sugar to goal setting. During the 12 weeks, we encourage you to exercise at the YMCA or on your own. A YMCA staff member will meet with you during the 12 weeks at the YMCA if you choose this portion of the program.
Class Description: A Registered Dietitian provides the classes. Topics are built around the role weight loss and exercise play in diabetes prevention, barriers to change, and goal setting. In the class, the dietitian will teach you how to increase whole grains and fiber, count carbohydrates, choose heart healthy fats, lower their sodium intake, and read labels.
Cost: The nutrition classes are $26 per couple for each class. $104 total will be billed at the first class.
The YMCA is $120 per couple for the 12 weeks. Scholarships are available for the YMCA portion of the program based on financial need.
Where and When
Appleton Medical Center: Mondays 5:30-6:30 p.m. A new group starts every other month.
Appleton Medical Center: Wednesdays 1:30 -2:30 p.m. A new group starts every other month.
Theda Clark Medical Center: Wednesdays 5:30-6:30 p.m. A new group starts every three months.
Call Central Scheduling to register for a class: Appleton Medical Center (920) 738-6521; Theda Clark (920) 729-3363