Getting good rest has a huge impact on your health and well-being. Fortunately, there are many things you can start doing right away to improve your sleep.
Make Sleep a Priority
Sleep has a big influence on your quality of life. It affects your energy level, your weight, and even your mental health. Some sleep disorders are serious or potentially life-threatening. When you’re not getting good sleep, every aspect of your health can suffer.
Get the Help You Need
If you don’t speak up about sleep problems, your doctor may not realize you need help. Instead of simply asking about sleeping pills, find out if you can get a referral to a sleep specialist.
Learn more about ThedaCare’s sleep services
Follow Healthy Bedtime Rituals
Sticking with a regular routine sends the cue to your body that it’s time to sleep. Use rituals to help you wind down before bed.
- Take a warm shower or bath
- Relax by reading or quietly listening to music
- Avoid stimulating activities, loud music, and bright lights
- Lower the temperature of your bedroom (65-68 F is ideal)
- Use black-out shades or curtains to keep the room dark
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and heavy foods before bedtime