If you are a referring hospital or EMS needing trauma transportation and assistance, call our One-Call referral line at 1-800-236-2066. Our dispatchers will help:
- Determine what emergency transportation is needed
- Transfer calls to the emergency department to help with physician acceptance for trauma transfers
One-Call also arranges medical transfers for:
Emergency Air Transportation
- Injured patients to a Level I or II ACS verified trauma center, including the Trauma Center at ThedaCare Medical Center-Neenah
- Critically ill patients to specialized care services at ThedaCare hospitals or other care centers
ThedaStar Air Medical provides helicopter transports and transfers for trauma patients and critically ill patients. Our crew of pilots and medical staff provide safe emergency care for:
Helicopter Features and Safety
- Critically injured adults and children from accident sites to the Level II Trauma Center at ThedaCare Regional Medical Center-Neenah
- Seriously ill or injured patients from local or regional hospitals to specialized care services at ThedaCare hospitals or other tertiary care centers
- Newborns needing specialized intensive care services to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin–Fox Valley, or other designated care facilities with Neonatal Intensive Care Units
Our ThedaStar Air Medical Program is staffed by highly trained flight nurses, paramedics, pilots, mechanics and dispatchers all working together to provide fast, reliable and quality care for your patient transfers. It’s a tall order to provide round-the-clock flying capability while ensuring the future financial viability of this highly regarded and demanded air ambulance service. To that end, within the next several months, ThedaStar flight crews will transition from a 24-hour work schedule to a 12-hour work schedule. ThedaStar will continue to be available on a 24/7/365 basis. This change allows ThedaStar more operations flexibility to leverage staff expertise so that we improve patient care, productivity and efficiency. What this means to you, our referring partners, is a re-commitment to better serve you and your patients now and well into the future.
From an equipment standpoint, the 2008 Airbus EC 135P2+ light twin-engine helicopter is not only one of the quietest in the world, but it has excellent maneuverability and technology that ensures a smooth flight with minimum vibration. The helicopter can carry a pilot, two medical personnel, one to two patients, plus one observer or passenger.
Overall, ThedaStar has an exemplary safety record. The helicopter has advanced satellite tracking to monitor aircraft position, air traffic, and weather so that every flight is a safe one. Pilots/flight crews have night-vision goggles for secure flying even in the dark.
On average, it takes five to seven minutes from the time a call is received until lift off. Though flight times vary depending on distance and weather, the helicopter can often cover 25 miles in about 10 minutes. See the flight times and map for more information:
Safety and Guidelines
Policies and Resources
Find out when air medical transportation is needed and how to prepare for the arrival of the ThedaStar helicopter:
ThedaStar offers opportunities to learn more about air medical transportation through ride-alongs and public events:
Aircraft operations provided by PHI Air Medical.