January 20, 2012
Embrace Your Heart: Event to Inspire Healthy Habits
Women’s heart health will take center stage at this year’s Women’s Wellness Day, planned for Sat., Feb. 18, at New London High School. Eliz Greene, author of the Busy Woman’s Guide to a Healthy Heart, will be the keynote speaker and plans to deliver a motivating and entertaining presentation.
“When you laugh, you learn and I’m going to give the audience great information to take home,” said Greene, of Milwaukee. “We are really going to have a great time.”
Greene, 46, had a massive heart attack at the age of 35 when she was seven months pregnant with twins. Doctors performed an emergency c-section and minutes later, Greene underwent triple bypass open-heart surgery, which saved her life. Her healthy, beautiful girls are now 11 and Greene, a dancer and adaptive movement specialist, has made a career of helping busy people improve their heart health so they can work well, feel better and stress less.
“While women now identify heart disease as the No. 1 killer of women, when you ask them what is their biggest health risk, they rarely identify it as their own concern,” said Greene.
In addition to sharing her story, Greene plans to offer simple strategies for healthier living, along with free copies of her book.
Tickets are $30 per person and must be purchased in advance. To register, call the New London Area Chamber of Commerce at (920) 982-5822, or visit the Chamber’s website at www.newlondonchamber.com.
“We feel that it’s vital for women in our community to recognize that heart disease is the No.1 killer of women during national heart month,” said Peggy School, vice president of clinical care and chief nursing officer at New London Family Medical Center. “We want to do everything we can to change that and hope to inspire and empower women to make healthy lifestyle choices.”
The daylong event, which runs from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., includes a continental breakfast, two breakout sessions, a light lunch, fashion show and great door prizes. Attendees can choose from seven talks featuring speakers who will offer a wealth of information on a variety of subjects.
- Come See What the Hoopla is All About – This workout will bring out the kid in you while shaping your entire lower body. Using weighted hula-hoops you will burn 7 to 12 calories per minute. Presented by Jodie Scherer, adult fitness instructor, New London Parks & Recreation.
- Heart & Soul – in the Heart Healthy Kitchen – Join ThedaCare’s renowned executive chef, Larry London, who will demonstrate a menu designed with heart. Simple and straightforward, these dishes will showcase flavors created using locally available ingredients. Attendees will also enjoy a special taste testing.
- Live the Dry Life – Statistics report that 50 percent of women will have urinary incontinence at some point in their lives. Learn about the different types of urinary incontinence and easy things you can do to help keep dry. Presented by Meagan Peeters-Gebler and Jill Timm, women’s health physical therapists, Orthopedic & Spine Therapy.
- Love Your Skin – Concerned about the effects of sun damage on your skin’s health and risk of skin cancer? Learn about the warning signs and how to be proactive, detect skin cancer early, best methods of treatment and how to reduce your risk. Learn about the best ways to reverse sun damage, strategies for anti-aging and latest rejuvenation techniques. Presented by Dermatology Associates of Wisconsin.
- Remember Your N.A.M.E. – Can’t remember . . . where you put your keys? What day you’re having lunch with girlfriends? Whose turn it is to host cards? If this sounds like you, consider attending this breakout session and learn how health, fitness, nutrition and everyday activities can affect your memory. Presented by Renee Neumeyer, Director at Valley VNA Senior Services.
- Rev-Up Your Metabolism – Learn the science, nutrition and proven training techniques to increase your metabolism. This informative and engaging workshop will dispel the myths about increasing your metabolism to burn fat. Presented by Tiffany Holtz and Cortnay Schearer, certified nutrition specialists and AFAA certified fitness instructors with Ellipse Fitness.
- The “Doctors” Make a House Call to New London – Join experts from New London Family Medical Center for an eye opening discussion on the uniqueness of a women’s heart. They will talk about the facts of heart health, cardiac disease and rehabilitation. You won’t want to miss this heart and soul discussion about the No. 1 killer of women. Presented by ThedaCare’s Tina Bettin, nurse practitioner; Dr. Marc Miller, radiologist; Jay Rust, physician assistant; and Dave Rae, manager of acute care services at NLFMC.
Major Sponsors of the event include New London Family Medical Center, ThedaCare Physicians-New London and the Wolf River Area Healthcare Foundation. Other sponsors include
Women’s Care of Wisconsin, S.C., IN Sight Health Associates, First State Bank, Radiology Associates of the Fox Valley, S.C., Community First Credit Union, Festival Foods, Advanced Physical Therapy & Sports Medicine, Dental Associates – Greenville, Dermatology Associates of Wisconsin, S.C., Orthopedic & Spine Therapy, Valley VNA Senior Services, ThedaCare At Home, Tri County Chiropractic, S.C., and WDUX Radio Station.
New London Family Medical Center is a 25-bed, critical access hospital serving New London and nearby communities in Outagamie and Waupaca counties. The hospital, which has been in operation since 1930 and is part of ThedaCare, provides inpatient and outpatient surgery; a 24-hour emergency department; physical, occupational and speech therapies; diagnostic services including laboratory and imaging; pain management; transitional care; and a ThedaCare At Home retail store. ThedaCare Physicians-New London shares the campus of New London Family Medical Center, as does a medical office building opened in 2003. An expansion of the medical campus was completed in 2010.
ThedaCare™ is a community health system consisting of five hospitals: Appleton Medical Center, Theda Clark Medical Center, New London Family Medical Center, Shawano Medical Center, and Riverside Medical Center in Waupaca. ThedaCare also includes ThedaCare Physicians, ThedaCare Behavioral Health, and ThedaCare at Home. ThedaCare is the largest employer in Northeast Wisconsin with more than 6,175 employees. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!
For more information, media may contact Megan Wilcox (firstname.lastname@example.org), APR, corporate and public relations specialist for ThedaCare, at (920) 830-5847.