5 Fast At-Home Breakfasts
- Parfait – Alternate layers of low‐fat yogurt, low‐fat granola or Kashi cereal, and fresh or frozen berries.
- Oatmeal – Put steel cut oats in your slow cooker and cook on low overnight. In the morning, you’ll have a hot breakfast waiting for you. Add ground flaxseed, walnuts, blueberries, or other toppings.
- Scrambled eggs or egg beaters – Place in the microwave for 30 seconds, stir, then cook another 30 seconds. Eat with whole grain bread and fresh fruit.
- Cold Cereal with milk or soymilk– Whole grain, high fiber. Add blueberries, bananas, strawberries, or any favorite fruit.
- Whole Grain Pancakes – Try Hodgson Mills, or Krusteaz Honey and Wheat. Add some protein power, flaxseed, fruit or walnuts for an added boost.
5 Breakfasts To Eat in The Car
- Smoothie – Whip together a nutritious smoothie using low‐fat vanilla yogurt, fresh or frozen fruit and 100% orange juice. Toss in some ground flaxseed for added fiber and brain‐boosting omega‐3 fats, or toss in some protein powder.
Breakfast Burrito – Microwave an egg, scramble and put into whole grain tortilla and wrap it up to go.
Whole Grain Waffle – Toast a whole grain waffle, like Kashi– Go Lean Blueberry Waffles, top with peanut butter and take along. No syrup needed, as the blueberries make it taste sweet.
Whole Grain Bagel – Toast and spread with natural peanut butter, fat free cream cheese, or a slice of fat free cheese.
High Fiber Muffin – Make ahead of time and freeze for easy grab and go.
5 Quick At-Home Dinners
Roast vegetables on the weekend (combine red onion, red, green, yellow pepper, mushrooms, yellow squash, zucchini, 1Tbsp. olive oil, 1/2 tsp. Balsamic vinegar and 1/4 tsp. of dried Thyme. Roast at 400 degrees for 20‐ 40 minutes or until veggies are tender.)
Roasted Veggies and Whole Wheat Pasta – Top with fresh grated parmesan. Serve with a side salad and fruit.
Quesadillas – Place whole wheat tortilla in a hot skillet, top with grilled vegetables and a small amount of low fat parmesan or feta cheese. Top with another tortilla and heat until tortilla is brown on both sides. Kids can do bean burritos or “veggie burger” tacos.
Beans and Rice – Cook instant brown rice. Add a can of drained and rinsed black beans, and a small jar of salsa. Serve with grilled chicken or fish.
Veggie Omelets—Whip up a quick meal of veggies omelets and serve with whole wheat toast and some fruit.
Boca or Morning Star Chicken, or veggies burger on a whole grain bun. Try topping it with roasted vegetables for added flavor.
Put some HEALTHY Junk in Your Trunk.
It’s easy to prepare items ahead of time and store in resealable bags. Simply clean, cut and bag items for easy grab and go!
- Dried fruit such as raisins, apricots or blueberries
- Snack size cans of fruit in natural juice
- Trail mix
- Low‐fat Granola bars: Kashi Bars, Quest Bars, Balance Bars
- Whole grain crackers:
- AK‐MAK 100% Stone Ground Whole Wheat
- Wild Oats Just Wheat Crackers
- Kashi TLC
- Nabisco Reduced Fat Triscuit
- Ry Krisp Fat Free
- Peanut butter—Individual packets
- Whole Grain cereal:
- Quaker Oat Squares
- Quaker Oat Bran
- Crunchy Corn Bran
- Oat Bran Pretzels
- String Cheese
- Laughing Cow cheese
- Individually packaged yogurt and/or cottage cheese
- Fresh fruit— Banana, Orange, Apple, Grapes, Berries
- Cut up veggies:
- Pea pods
- Baby carrots
- Red, green, yellow pepper strips
- Cherry Tomatoes