Did You Know:
- More than 750,000 people have a stroke each year
- Stroke is the leading cause of disability
- There are more than 4 million stroke survivors
- Every 45 seconds, someone in the United States has a stroke
- Twice as many women die from stroke every year than from breast cancer
- Over 2 million brain cells die every minute during an acute stroke
Use the FAST test to remember warning signs of stroke.
F = FACE Ask the person to smile. Does one side of the face droop?
A = ARMS Ask the person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?
S = SPEECH Ask the person to repeat a simple sentence. Does the speech sound slurred or strange?
T = TIME If you observe any of these signs (independently or together), call 9-1-1immediately.