- 2 1/2 cups almond milk
- 6 large eggs, whites only
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 6 cups diced whole wheat bread cubes
- 4 Tbsp. dried cranberries
- ¼ cup walnuts, roasted, chopped
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- Heat almond milk over medium-low heat saucepan until hot.
- Whisk egg whites in a bowl until blended; slowly whisk in agave nectar.
- Slowly whisk the hot milk into eggs until blended.
- Whisk in vanilla, lemon zest, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add bread, craisins, cooked quinoa and walnuts to mixture; fold together.
- Brush vegetable oil on the inside of a 2 qt. baking dish.
- Sprinkle a small amount of sugar into baking dish and rotate dish to sugar coat the baking dish.
- Fill with bread pudding mixture.
- Set pan in water bath, bake at 350 degrees until browned on top. Set in the center, 1 to 1 ¼ hours.
- Cool for 45 minutes; cut into 12 pieces and serve warm with winter fruit and nut compote.
Warm Fruit and Nut Compote
1 lb. pears, peeled, diced fine
¼ cup agave nectar
4 Tbsp. dried cranberries
¼ cup walnuts, toasted, chopped
¼ cup shelled pumpkin Seeds
1/2 cup water
- Sauté pears in 1 tsp. of canola oil in a hot pan until caramelized.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook to a syrup consistency.
- Keep warm and use to top bread pudding.
Yield: 12 servings
Nutritional Information per 6 oz. serving:
Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
Carbohydrates: 38 g
Protein: 7 g
Dietary Fiber: 4 g
Sodium: 196 mg
Cholesterol: 0 mg