What Health Information or Supplies Does My College Bound Child Need?

First of all, your son or daughter is now considered an adult, and should take responsibility for his or her own health.   Therefore, you should review the health history, including the family history.  Make sure your child takes a copy of their immunizations and medications to school for reference.    Instruct them on using an insurance card, and how to determine coverage.  

You will also want to make sure your child has the phone number for their health care provider, and that he or she signed consent for you to be able to discuss health care needs with that provider.   (When a person is over age 18, information to parents cannot be given without the patient’s consent.)

If your child takes prescription drugs, educate them on how to refill medications, and pick out a pharmacy near the dorms for convenience.   If the drugs are “mail order”, you may need to contact the company to transfer the delivery address.   If your child is taking medications for ADHD or mental health issues, it is advised that these medications stay with the student or are locked up, as these types of medications are stolen, sold or abused. 

As for medication, acetaminophen and ibuprofen are great to take along.   Allergy medication can be helpful to have on hand, especially if the student is in a different region of the US.   Bandages and antibiotic ointment will be helpful for cuts and scrapes.   Sunscreen is a must!  

If you have other health concerns for your college bound child, please discuss with your child’s health care provider.

Sharon Rink, MDBy Sharon Rink, MD, pediatrician, ThedaCare Physicians-Pediatrics in Darboy.